Tuesday, March 2, 2010

February Grades and Ranks

This is a great outlet for me. I really like knowing what I have had to drink over the past month. If you are reading this, you can follow me "live" on Twitter. I am adding a few notes this month.

[A+]


#1 Founders Canadian Breakfast Stout. Had about 6-8oz. at the fest. Rich, smooth, strong, dark. You know it's good when your foam is brown. A+ 8:54 PM Feb 21st via web (A+ , A+)

I was lucky to drink as much of this as I did at the EBF. It will be hard to find a better beer.

[A]

#2 Great Divide Hibernation Ale. Old English Style Ale. Malty, robust. Peppery, too. Shared with wifey. Seriously good. A 5:57 PM Feb 10th via web (A, A)

I just got "Great Divide"... you know, the Continental Divide?

#3 Allagash White. Still awesome. So lemony and crisp, makes your mouth water for the next sip. A 6:28 PM Feb 6th via web (A, A)

#4 Allagash Four. i love my sipping beers. sour and strong. dark and delicious. a- 7:44 PM Feb 27th via txt (A-, A)

#5 Sinebrychoff Porter. baltic. no carbination. Wicked tasty for cold nights. A- 6:01 PM Feb 14th via txt (A-, A)

These last two are two wonderful beers that should be sipped. I think that this is my new favorite way to drink.

#6 Pretty Things St Botolph's Town. So dark and smooth. at red bones. waiting for potato salad. sOrry love! A 3:21 PM Feb 10th via txt (A, A-)

[A-]

#7 Mikkeller Santa's Little Helper 2009. Belgian ale w/ spices and cocoa. Nice medium body with strong hop appeal. Complex, nice flavor. A- 6:49 PM Feb 4th via web (A-, A-)

#8 Russian River Pliny the Younger. Had 6ozs. Sure, world's best beer, but I don't like 3PAs all that much. But I understand the hype. A- 8:57 PM Feb 21st via web (A-, A-)

Saying this is bad is like saying Christmas is bad. I liked it, but I didn't love it.

#9 Lagunitas Brown Sugar. A lot more hoppy than expected, but with a subtle sweetness and strong nody. And ABV. Enjoyed it a lot. A-. 8:30 PM Feb 18th via web (A-, A-)

[B+]

#10 Southampton Triple Abbey Style Ale. Citrus, coriander, peppery. Apparently I am on a Belgian kick lately Maybe a little "good" sour. B+ 7:51 PM Feb 12th via web (B+, B+)

#11 Great Divide Hades. Belgian Style Ale. Interesting to have this soon after Allagash White. Lemony, but more acidic. More body. B+ 6:35 PM Feb 9th via web (B+, B+)

#12 St. Feuillien Brune. a Fruity Brown. nice balance for now b+ 5:19 PM Feb 14th via txt (B+, B)

#13 Great divide Tripel. nice body for a tart lemon taste. yes i like body. b+ 6:54 PM Feb 27th via txt (B+, B)

#14 Sierra Nevada Kellerweis. Interesting blend of European styles, with a Hefe taste but with a heavier body. Enjoyable and different. B+ 11:51 AM Feb 27th via web (B+, B)

This truly was a different beer.

#15 Anchor Porter. Smoky, but light body. Would have been better if served warmer. Still enjoyable. B 6:50 PM Feb 5th via web (B, B+)

#16 Dogfish Head 60 minute IPA. This really is a mood things between the Smuttynose and DFH. The DFH is so much sharper, but is that better? B+ 8:53 PM Feb 21st via web (B+, B)

#17 Ithaca Cascazilla. A red ale. Super hoppy, but balanced well. Nice body and taste. I thought spicy, but could have been the mustard. B+ 8:33 PM Feb 11th via web (B+, B)

#18 Smuttynose IPA. Solid stand-by. Great example of what an IPA should be. It's fun to be hoppy, but to be a good beer, you need balance. B+ 7:54 PM Feb 17th via web (B+, B)

[B]

#19 Anchor Our Special Ale 2008. Still have some holiday beer left. Really is a better session beer than with food. Like good flat soda. B 7:19 PM Feb 2nd via web (B, B)
Anchor OSA '08. After EBF, it is interesting to have something not aged in a barrel. Still super syrupy, with a little tinny-taste. Good. B+ 8:01 PM Feb 25th via web (B+, B)

Aging is still new to me. While I think that it should be good, there are new tastes that I am not sure whether or not they should be there.

[B-]

#20 Kasteel Rouge. A cherry Belgian ale. Honestly? Cough syrup, but sweet and yummy. I expected something more complex. B- 7:19 PM Feb 3rd via web (B-, C+)

Sad that this ranked as low as it did. It was one of Beth's gateway specialty beers.

#21 Middle Ages Im Paled Ale. Drinkable, yeah, but nothing exciting. It's like, "Hey, hops!" Not balanced, but does not leave a bad taste. B- 8:38 PM Feb 24th via web (B-, C+)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just had the St. Botolph's Town the other night! I completely agree with your assessment (not that you needed validation!). -Lauren

BrewEngland said...

Hey just stumbled across your blog - happy to find another Boston area couple that loves to blog about beer! Cheers!

Beth said...

Hi Adam! Thanks for leaving a comment. I will definitely be checking out your blog in more detail later :)