Saturday, April 9, 2011

Featured Beer, week ending 4/3


Now that I am out of the beer business, I suppose my learning will have to be more active then passive. So, I'm thinking maybe I will talk about a beer I drank recently, and why I like it. Especially since my new job has a set schedule, maybe this will work? But, I am not really into the technically of enjoying beer. I enjoy the more subjective approach. My grading shows as much.

What? Saison, 8% abv
When? 4/3/11
Where? On The Rocks Liquor, Lawrence, KS

Hype 9 / 10: I had had this beer in 2009, and brought it home from Kansas. I had enjoyed it so much that I have been craving and talking about it so much, that I simply had to get it next time I was in town.

Taste 13 / 15: Sometimes, you will find a saison that funky, which is great, or overly yeasty, which is fine, too. This had almost a sweetness masking the other characteristics that I would have expected from any other saison. The body was right, the feel was right. I didn't remember it not being as bitter. Perhaps the batch was different from the one I had in 2009. It's hard to make a good beer that is different from what people expect the style to be. But, it was definitely good.

Memorability 14 / 15: Obviously this beer I now have a little bit of history with, so there is that going for it. And, now that I know that I can expect a little bit different of a saison, I will reach for it again next time I see it.

Environment 5 / 5: I was drinking this at my sister's house, with my brother-in-law who is very much on the verge of being a beer geek. He is already brewing his own beer, so it is exciting to bring drink with him and talk about all the things that makes beer good.

X-Factor 5 / 5: Perhaps it was the long awaitedness of this beer, or that it was really cool to find a great beer store that was new in Lawrence. Or perhaps to find it available in small bottles, which means I could drink it over a few days, unlike last time. Or that I was simply on vacation, drinking beer.

Score: 46 / 50, A-

No comments: