Monday, May 23, 2011

Featured Beer, week ending 5/15

So, I went to The Asgard for the first time a few weeks ago. I decided that it was time to actually face the mass crowds at a bar after Friday. It was a rough going at first. I cannot stand that many alpha personalities in one room. But, once we found who we were meeting and carved a little niche, then I started to feel much better.


What? Robust Porter, 6.2% ABV
When? 5/13/11
Where? The Asgard, Cambridge, MA
Original Tweet: BBC Coffeehouse Porter. Nitro! I can tell because of the bubbles. It is the coffeehouse porters to end all coffeehouse porters. A-

Hype 9 / 10: This is the fickle thing about a hype rating. I knew of the CHP before I really knew that BBC existed, or even much knowledge about different styles at all. But once I finally tried it, back when I started getting into beer, I knew it was a winner. So, it's not like there was a build up to it, but finally trying something that was always there. Good thing it was awesome, AmIRight?

Taste 15 / 15: I'm torn, because I know that this beer is awesome as it is, and it doesn't need the added element of nitro to make it taste better. Unlike, you know, some marco-stouts that are out there. But, nitro is a fun presentation style and it should be a feature, but not a mandatory type thing. I liked that the Common would serve, because that's how I planned, it off of a normal tap. I strongly feel that you shouldn't have to add to a beer at the end to make it taste good. Like, I hate orange wheels on my Allagash White. Seriously? With all that said, though, nitro CHP is so rich and creamy, it is like coffee-icing beer. Which would lead to coffee-beer icing in the future. It just weighs on your tongue, lacing your taste buds with the micro bubbles of foam. And I have never had a better coffee flavored beers. And there are some good ones.

Memorability 15 / 15: I sadly have to stop and think of the other fine brews from BBC, besides CHP, when listing them off. It defines a style for me and that is the best praise I think a beer can get. Like Saison Dupont is the king of the Farmhouses, I truly believe that this is the coffee-flavored porter that everyone has to try.

Environment 4 / 5: Taking in to account the whole experience of the night, I much would rather have had a table and been able to talk quietly with my friends. Good thing this was my second beer of the night, because if I was grading Southern Tier Gemini I had first, it might have been a 1 or 2!

X-Factor 4 / 5: No real X-factor to speak of, other then being reliable and readily available. If a restaurant has a nitro line that they care about, this is what they should have on it, if not, something like Left Hand Milk Stout. But, again, I press that this beer is so good that you do not have to do anything fancy with it to make it enjoyable.

Score: 47 / 50, A

No comments: