Sunday, May 15, 2011

Featured Beer, week ending 5/8


Since I have taken more of an active interest in work, I feel like I am slowly progressing my genereal education. That said, I picked up a shift at the Celalr for the first time since March, and I still feel like there are huge gaps in my knowledge. If things had worked out in a perfect world, where I worked in the industry, and took an active interest in my education, then, well, let's say... there would be smaller gaps in my education.


Who? Peak Organic Hop Noir, Portland, ME
When? 5/2/11
Where? Craft Beer Cellar, Belmont, MA
Original Tweet: Peak Hop Noir. I think that I have a favorite black IPA and this is it. All the balance that you would want, just dark and dandy. A-

Hype 9 / 10: I didn't know about it until it was offered to me for Brew Year's Eve. I asked Peak if they had anything that would taste great on a nitro-line, and I was told that this was just brewed and could work real well. I mean, great, for a night that is all IPAs, what else would you want to have? And it was great, except for the part where the gas was still on when I was changing the valve and something important and tiny ricocheted across the cooler, among the 50 or so kegs crammed in there. Thank goodness Peak got smart and started bottling these great beers, though. They are 3 for 3 with excellent bombers. (Espresso Amber and King Crimson)

Taste 15 / 15: It is the best beer of this style that I have had. Others, seem to have something missing. They are either overly roasted malts, or taste just like IPAs that happen to be black. I'm sure someone out there loves those other beers, that's fine. But what I want from an Black IPA is something that is reminiscent of an IPA, but doesn't change everything, either. I think Peak captured magic in a bottle (ha!). The roasty malts are don't kill the hops, or vise versa. Balance and flavor is such a difficult game

Memorability 15 / 15: Besides this and 21st Amendment Back in Black, I don't remember anything immediately when it comes to naming beers in the category. And Peak is the first one I think of. Plus, having popped up a couple times in the last six months (really, has it only been within six months? Wow!) with a catchy name and a fantastic sales rep, you gotta love it.

Environment 5 / 5: I have never had a bad time drinking this. I had a wonderful time getting off in time for the countdown on NYE to sit with Beth and enjoy a beer or three. And every time I bring it home, it goes well with our food, and have never been disappointed. Though it is stronger in ABV, I think that there are enough hops in it that I will drink it sooner than later. I don't want to accidentally age it and be disappointed.

X-Factor 4 / 5: Had this beer a one time beer, and have been rated before I left the Common, then it would have been a 5. There is a little bittersweetness to the Brew Year's Eve. But, I do enjoy it, and I am happy to be able to have brought a few bottles home this past month.

Score: 48 / 50, A

*Not an offfical style guideline.

Also, if an 87 is a B+, should I rank a 97 an A+... hmm.

No comments: