Sunday, April 25, 2010

Boston Bacon and Beer Festival 2010 (by Beth)


Yesterday was the much-anticipated Bacon and Beer Festival put on by @eatBoston and SoWa Sundays. I think it was a great festival, and I hope it really helped to get craft beer in more people's minds. I recognized a few local "celebrities." Top Chef season 1's Tiffani (I'm not your bitch, bitch) is apparently chef at the South End's Rocca Kitchen, the ladies of We are Not Martha were in attendance, and lots of brewers, of course. I also recognized lots of Beer Advocates, especially the festival organizers/captains/volunteers.


First, a little constructive criticism:


  • The line--The line to get in was long and slow-moving. We are nerds and got there early, but I had friends who came 10 minutes after it started, it took them 30 minutes to get through, and there were more people behind them in line. Ticket holders had to get their names checked off a list--there was only one table for this, despite all the names being divided into four groups (A-C, etc). If you have to check names off a list, get 4 tables for the 4 groups, and make them not have to cross path with each other to get wristbanded (actually, with tables you could have check-in one end of the table and wristbands at the end of the table).

  • Programs--would have been nice. I have no idea what I missed. Or what I ate.

  • Slop buckets--a place to rinse beer cups and throw any unwanted beer would have been welcome

  • Recycling/composting--I actually think they did a GREAT job at this. I was never looking for a place to put my stuff away. I never saw them overfill. Once things started winding down, though, some of the labels on the barrels disappeared and I didn't know where to throw things.

  • Layout--interspersing beer and food would have made for a few more surprises. Going back and forth got difficult.

  • Length--I think 4 hours was a bit long. We left between 4-5, when food started running out.

  • Food and beer lines--moved amazingly quickly.

So, the fest! Unfortunately, I think I need a new camera as mine kept dying...then working again...then dying again. So, you get a picture of Ben chowing down on a beignet with lardon and mustard-IPA sauce.

Beer: Most of the beers I'd had before--this is not a criticism, just why I didn't take many notes. It was about local beer, and there was awesome local beer!
A few places I hadn't heard of before (Cody Brewing? I didn't remember to try them, unfortunately). Since there were no programs, note-taking got cumbersome. I did try Brooklyn's Dark Matter for the first time--it was oaky and went well with bacon. I tried to stick to dark/smokey beers for this fest. I got to introduce my friend Lauren to Pretty Things and she was quite impressed...Dann and Martha from PT also impressed my friend and her husband as people. They're so sweet. And they liked my wing-ed squirrel t-shirt my mother-in-law gave me! Always happy to get people to try beer I LOVE made by nice, local people. Cape Ann had a Tea Party Killer barleywine that I missed out on, but I did enjoy their pumpkin stout-a good, smokey choice for a bacon festival.

We tried a bunch of our usuals...Mayflower Brewing knew that Ben was wearing a Mike Doughty T-shirt ("More Bacon than the Pan Can Handle"); tried Old Brown Dog (with Bacon) again from Smuttynose...it was really cold. Raison d'Etra from Dogfish Head. That's all I remember!

Food: The food was all excellent that I ate (apparently someone made really bad chicken wings, though). I was especially impressed with The Fireplace's large chunk of bacon over some puree with a chickpea salad...thing (see, I WANT PROGRAMS). It was soooo yummy. The beignets with lardon and IPA/mustard sauce from Gaslight were amazing, too. B.good made an awesome bacon-chocolate shake, which I thought had peanut butter in it, but it might not have. Garden at the Cellar had stellar bacon-date-goat cheese things. To die for. Also enjoyed Atwood's bacon-egg steamed rolls with candied bacon and maple syrup topping. I ate other stuff, too, but can barely remember it.

Overall: I think this is a great idea for a festival. I really enjoyed getting to try all the foods--I've never been to a food event like this, and I actually had already felt like I was on Top Chef BEFORE I saw Tiffani walk by me! I was even thinking "did the chefs think about what it would be like to try to eat this standing up with a spork?" (The Fireplace's was surprisingly easy to eat with a spork!).

I heard people in line talking about how they hoped to learn more about beer and the event, and I hope they did! I hope this allowed people to reach out of their comfort zones and learn something new/appreciate a new beer. I definitely found some restaurants I want to try--must say I'm already a huge fan of b.good and The Fireplace, though!

Great idea, great venue, great recycling/composting, great food and beer. AWESOME value ($25...seriously. It was a fundraiser so all the vendors must have donated. The quality of beer and food would have made a $50 price tag a bargain, although one I couldn't have probably afforded anyway). I really really enjoyed myself while I was there, and my constructive criticism is just that--meant to be constructive in hopes that they offer this event again!

3 comments:

Aaron Cohen said...

Hi,
I'm Aaron and I write @eatBoston and put on the Bacon and Beer Fest with SoWa Sundays.

Thanks for coming yesterday and for the thorough write up.

A couple of comments:
We saw immediately that the line wasn't getting people in fast enough, and I'm proud that we were able to make some adjustments that got people in a LOT faster. We changed the position of the table, and added a second table. This will be better next year.

Programs. ARGH! We had them, I can email you one if you contact me. I saw them in the morning during set up, saw a FEW on the table right at the start, and then didn't see them again until the end. Too much was happening for me to realize they weren't being handed out. Get in touch and I'll send you one, or try to post it...

Slop buckets. We'll try to figure out a solution for this next year. We thought about them in advance, but couldn't figure out a suitable (and cost effective) solution. Buckets would have been find, would they be worth it without the ability to rinse?

I'm glad you appreciated the effort we put into making this event have as low an impact as possible. The vast majority of waste created yesterday was compostable, and most of the rest was biodegradable or recyclable. We'll work on the signage for next year.

Because of the number of restaurants/brewers, we weren't able to provide everything the restaurants needed in enough different spots of the floor to make that possible. I agree, though, interspersing them would have been really cool.

Agreed, I'm thinking 3 hours next year.

Thanks again for coming, documenting the event so well, and for the thoughts. SoWa Sundays and I put a ton of work into putting this together, our small number of volunteers were amazing, and the brewers/restaurants donated a significant amount of time/product so that we could raise a substantial amount of money for 4 deserving non-profits.

Beth said...

Hi Aaron!
Thanks for the comments. I've volunteered at three straight Beer Advocate fests so I was definitely thinking of it from that perspective.

I wish I'd seen the programs! I would definitely love one posted.

I really had a great time and I was so happy with the event. Thank you for responding! I appreciate it.

We Are Not Martha said...

Hi Beth!! Great recap :) You totally should have said hi to us!! Definitely a well-put on event and I LOVED that it was so inexpensive, though I'm sure they could have charged more for it.

Sues