Thursday, April 15, 2010

Brewers Helping Neighbors Beer Fest

Honestly, I didn't know what to expect from this, and I don't think that anyone I was with did either. I was expecting just the same (big) local breweries with the same beers you can find everywhere.

But, when we hit the first table, it was Sam Adams, with a selection of beers that I had never seen before. And they were 5oz. pours, which was something that is a huge no-no for Ba. So, immediately, I was won over and hopeful for the night to come.

It has been a while since I was a patron at a beer fest. Instead of A-F grades, I give them a quick ++, +, 0, -, -- grade, based solely on first impression.

Sam Adams:
Latitude 48 (+) - Spicy and malty. Something to look for this summer.
Sam Adams Long Shot 2010 (the home brewers competition):
Lemon Pepper Saison (+) - More like lemon, less like pepper.
Old Ben (Ale?) (++) Deep in body, maltier.
Mile High Barleywine (++) - Smooth and spicy.

Ipswich Brewery:
Ipswich Original Ale (+) - Straight forward good ale.
Ipswich Oatmeal Stout (+) - Light for a stout, good oatmeal flavor.

We ended up buying an Ipswich mixer at the grocery.

Clown Shoes Brewing Company:
Hoppy Feet Black IPA (0) - Why is it black?
Brown Angel (0) - Light, smooth, spicy. Boring compared to everything else.

A note about Brown Angel, Beth was heated up about a discussion of the label on Ba. Basically, if the label is offensive to her, the she won't buy it.

Both are under Mercury Brewing. Amazing the difference.

Blue Hills Brewery:
Munich Lager (0) - At first, bullion, but then bay leaf. something stew-like.

I have not been impressed by them. Maybe it was just the pourer, but I feel like this is Annoying Rich White Guy brewing. Not to be confused with Jim Koch of Sam Adams.

Mayflower Brewing Company:
Pale Ale (++) - Refreshing, what a session beer should be.
IPA (+) - Grapefruit beer.
Porter (+) - Porters are not stouts. *can't read other note*

Mayflower was the highlight of the fest. Though we talked with Ipswich longer. I don't know why we don't buy more Mayflower.

Harpoon Brewery:
Belgian Pale Ale (0) - Taste like Harpoon doing a Belgian.

Everything else they had I have tried before. Good thing that I didn't start with them.

And, in the end, it was a great time. Thank you very much to our friend Beck for the half-price tickets.

No comments: