Monday, April 5, 2010

March Grade and Ranks

Good month for beer, even if I got sick and didn't drink much. The first grade is the tweet grade (or average of grades), the second is my second opinion grade. I don't mean to go all gushy over Pretty things, but seriously, they are doing things so right.


[A]


#1 Pretty Things Fluffy White Rabbits. nice triple. is there anything that they cant Do well? Its a must try. A- 8:07 PM Mar 19th via txt
Pretty Things Fluffy White Rabbits. This time from a bottle. Now that I knew what to expect, even more enjoyable. Love the bite w/ hops. A 7:47 PM Mar 24th via web (A, A)

Such a relaxing beer, and you should seek this out if you can.

#2 Pretty Things Mild Ale. Historic recipe. A lot hoppier/spicier than I imagined, but I didn't really read the label. DFH 90 with malt. A 8:03 PM Mar 22nd via web (A, A-)

It lost a little luster in the shadow of the Fluffy White Rabbits. Maybe I shouldn't count that against it?

[A-]

#3 Lost Abbey Lost & Found. Dubbel. Raisins and figs, extremely smooth for a Dubbel, Beth says it's more like a Brune. Also a bit sweet. A- 8:04 PM Mar 11th via web (A-, A-)

I definitely will search this one out again.

#4 Ommegang Three Philosophers. A fruity quad. Haven't had this since I got snookered at Thanksgiving. Deliciously rich. A- 7:32 PM Mar 27th via web (A-, A-)

This is a "knock you on your ass with a smile" beer. If you want a stiff beer that is very drinkable, this is the one.

#5 Mikkeller Beer Geek Breakfast. Slowly loving this brewery. Oatmeal and coffee, Beth loved the "cocoa notes" from the coffee. Tart. A- 8:07 PM Mar 1st via web (A-, A-)

The name says it all, but no Founder's KBS.

#6 Allagash White. With a lemon, and the wrong glassware? I mean, sure, I was happy it was there, but I know it could be better. B+ 8:39 PM Mar 13th via web (B+, A-)

Negative experience with a great beer, don't let it fool you.

#7 Great Divide Hibernation Ale. Does not go with thai food. Or necessarily after being sick. Too intense for tonight, but I know I love it. B 6:37 PM Mar 6th via web
Great Divide Hibernation. Seriously a delicious & strong beer. I can't believe I almost didn't buy it. Such elegant balance and taste. A- 8:32 PM Mar 30th via web (B+, A-)

Paired right, this ale will take you a long way.

#8 Bear Republic Red Rocket Ale. Supper hoppy Amber beer. A great in between beer, when you are not sure what you want. lovely color. B+ 8:49 PM Mar 25th via web (B+, A-)

Had three of these over the month. It got better each time.

#9 Avery duganA IPA. "dark and piney" IPA, really well balanced for as extremely hoppy as it was. A leftover from EBF, a show-off IPA. A- 8:05 PM Mar 1st via web (A-, B+)

Apparently it didn't leave a lasting impression (to the end of the month) with me.

[B+]


#10 Smuttynose IPA. The last of that 6-pick I have been nursing. Drank it warmer today, made it spicier. Enjoyed it immensely. B+ 8:15 PM Mar 9th via web (B+, B+)

The best of the local and easy-to-find IPAs out there.

#11 Rouge Dead Guy Ale. a lot more hops than i remember. still good. But bitter. b+ 7:20 PM Mar 20th via txt (B+, B+)

Borderline session beer. I wouldn't want to drink too many of these in a night or else I would be in pain. But it is extremely versitile in small amounts.


#12 Mayflower Golden Ale. cask. citrus and spicy. Yay for the indo having a cask. heart that they know us. b+ 7:59 PM Mar 15th via txt (B+, B)

I really am trying to branch out of my comfort zone, but it doesn't mean I will love everything that I try. I need to go back to the Indo and have another cask.

[B]

#13 Sierra Nevada Kellerweis. Also good this time around. I wasn't looking to be wowed or overpowered. Nice solid weis taste, enjoyable. B 7:23 PM Mar 5th via web (B, B)

Now this is a great, easily available beer. They tried something different, and they succeeded.

#14 Dogfish Head 60 minute IPA. The last time I'm comparing with Smutty IPA. I want 60 to have a bigger body, to balance the hops. Or a 90. B 8:36 PM Mar 10th via web (B, B)

Other DFH IPAs are better.

#15 Great Divide Old Ruffian. Rough is right. Solid effort, but very peppery and whiskey-like. Not the best bareleywine, but I still love GD. B 8:20 PM Mar 15th via web (B, B)

Again, all about the right drink at the right time.

[B-]

Sam Adams Noble Pils. Wow, haven't had a Pils for a while. Hoppy with very summery and light taste. Good job from a large company. B- 8:25 PM Mar 28th via web (B-, C+)

Compared to everything else on the list, I just can't get into it. It is fine and you should try it, but I am always looking for something more balanced and less one-flavor.

No comments: