Saturday, April 11, 2009

#26, #27, #28 for Ben

Beer: Old Ruffian Barley Wine
Brewery: Great Divide Brewing Company, Colorado
Category: American Barleywine
Date Drank: 4/10/09
Grade: A-
Location purchased/drank: The Independent
Served from a: 22oz. Bottle

Great Divide is amazing. They continually have outstanding beer and I have never been disappointed. True, I am glad that I tried the Rice Beer before ever buying a bottle, but other than that oddity, just try anything they make. This drink sets my standard from what I want from barley wines. The only thing that docks it a point is that I was having trouble finishing such a big bottle because of the 10% alcohol content. Which, really, it shouldn't count against it, but if you want a straight A or even A+, you need make me want more of you. I like that barley wines can either be hoppy or malty, and this one is a nice balance between the two. A bite, a smoothness. Just so yummy.


Beer: Founders Porter
Brewery: Founders Brewing Company, Michigan
Category: American Porter
Date Drank: 4/8/09
Grade: B+
Location purchased/drank: Whole Foods
Served from a: bottle

I wish that Founders was more available out here. OUr friend Josh raves about the brewery every time we mention beer, and as well he should. The description on the bottle says "dark, rich, and sexy." And, really, it is. For Beth and I, after we had our first bottle, we realized how rich it was. We were almost afraid to drink it with the wrong type of food. We had it with a more hardy of a meal, ham I believe. It is very much a dessert beer, but not like chocolate dessert, but certainly that can finish up a meal very easily.

Beer: Claymore Scotch Ale
Brewery: Great Divide Brewing Company, Colorado
Category: Scotch Ale
Date Drank: 4/10/09
Grade: B+
Location purchased/drank: The Independent
Served from a: tap

My first Scotch Ale. So, they look like porters, but they carmalize the wort and typically have a higher alcohol content. It was a good beer, but really, you could have told me that it was a strong porter and would have been very happy. I don't know much about the category, but certainly would like to learn more and try more of this. Maybe go visit Scotland?

No comments: