Tuesday, March 3, 2009

#11, 12, 13, Ben

Beer Advocate has taken away their state listings on beer reviews? Makes things a little more annoying, but oh well. Things will work out.

#11
Beer:
Harpoon IPA
Brewery: Harpoon Brewery, Massachusetts
Category: American IPA
Date Drank: 3/1/09
Grade: B-
Location purchased/drank: The Cheesecake Factory
Served from a: Tap

This was one my beer. This is my gateway beer to beer snobbery. And it is still a delicious and refreshing beer. But, since I have matured in my tastes, there is nothing special or defining about this beer anymore. for me. Certainly, if you haven't had it, try it, but there are better examples and variations. This is a starter beer, I suppose. It is what an IPA is supposed be, hoppy and with citrus flavor. This is the first beer that Beth called a Ben-beer.

#12
Beer: Unearthly IPA
Brewery: Southern Tier Brewing Company, New York
Category: Double IPA
Date Drank: 3/2/09
Grade: A-
Location purchased/drank: The Independent
Served from a: Tap

Solid, solid beer. Funny to review this after the Harpoon. I love Imperials/Double IPAs. They have the flavor profile on an IPA (well, doubled), but they beef it up with body, like malt. On top of that, it is high in alcohol. So, it is quite the drinking experience. I love that the Independent always has one of this style on top. Looking at the picture from BA, I have seen the bottle for sale before at Whole Foods. Maybe I will put two and two together and try to buy this at some time, for person use at home.

#13
Beer: Double Simcoe IPA
Brewery: Weyerbacher Brewing Co., Pennsylvania
Category: Double IPA
Date Drank: 3/2/09
Grade: B
Location purchased/drank: The Independent
Served from a: Tap

I had had this before, and enjoyed it, but drinking it right after the Unearthly, you realize how much more this beer could be. It certainly had less body to it, and it had a piney taste. Which is fine, but it certainly distracted from the bigger drinking picture. As the Unearthly went down so smooth, every time you took a sip of this one, you said to yourself, "Oh yeah, this is what I am drinking." I like beers that want to be your friend and not be the center of attention.

No comments: