Monday, March 23, 2009

Ben's #16 & #17

My list of beers to review was getting as long as those that I those that I had already reviewed.


Beer:
Barney Flats Oatmeal Stout
Brewery: Anderson Valley Brewing Company, California
Category: Oatmeal Stout
Date Drank: 3/18/09
Grade: B
Location purchased/drank: The Independent
Served from a: Tap

THough Beth loved this beer, I wasn't overly impressed. Sure, it was a good beer, but I wasn't won over with body or taste, the two things that I expect from a stout. I guess that I really want my stouts to be like drinking milk (body wise). But, hey, it was enjoyable to the last drop. It went well with the ice-cream layered cake that we chose to eat.

Beer: Hercules Double IPA
Brewery: Great Divide Brewing Company, Colorado
Category: American Double/Imperial IPA
Date Drank: 3/16/09
Grade: A-
Location purchased/drank: The Independent
Served from a: Tap

My first experience with this was way back in Colorado, I believe at the Great American Beer Fest, and I have loved it ever since first sip. It falls into the grapefruit-like beer that I love, but it also has body, too. Great Divide is a leader among great beers, and certainly try anything you find... except the rice-beer. Funny, though, after tasting a lot of those and mentally comparing to other DIPAs, this is not all that an uncommon a taste. Either I have good picking skills or I just love the whole group. But, this one will always hold a special place for me.

No comments: